Would you like to know the basics of copywriting?
Do you even understand what copywriting is?
Does it seem too difficult to understand? Do you think it’s too complex to use? Do you have to be a sales expert to make an excellent copy?
If you think that – you’re mistaken. It doesn’t take much to master copywriting.
You need an understanding of the basics of copywriting.
The Basics of Copywriting Explained…
There are a few basics of copywriting that you should know before you start. Not only should you know them, but you should understand them.
The first thing you need to understand first, though, is what copywriting is. Copywriting is creating content that persuades a reader or consumer to take action. The action usually involves something in the works of spending money. But you could use it for other things, like getting email subscribers or followers on social media.
Now let’s get on to the basics of copywriting and how you can create the best copy possible every time!
- Write Frequently: The more you write, the better you will get at it. Fall in love with writing. Master your editing skills. Get better at grammar. I like to use Grammarly to help me get better at Grammar and sentence structure.
- Read Frequently: The best way to get good at copywriting is to read copy constantly. Find the most successful companies. Read their copy. Determine their style. Adopt it as your own and keep reading into it.
- Be Conversational: The basics of copywriting tell you to get conversational and personal with consumers. You want to write in a manner that seems like you’re speaking to them directly. A one-on-one conversation is more personal.
- Tell a Story: The best copywriters out there are the ones who tell a story. Read stories that inspire and grip you. Determine what makes you inspired and motivated to read it. What specific part of the story needs to be remembered when writing your own?
- Share Experience: People want to know how something has helped them. They want to know how easy doing something is based on your experience. You have their attention. Don’t let them down. Tell them why it helped you and how it can help them.
- Frustrate and Agitate: Write in a way that frustrates the consumer and agitates them. You can cause them to get emotional. That’s the bait and hook. Once you have them there, you can share the solution and how easy it is once they act you want them to take.
- Audit Every Word: Make sure every word you include matters. Every single word should aid in keeping the consumer reading. That’s the basics of copywriting. Audit your sentences and ensure they’re helping get the consumer to perform the desired action.
These basics of copywriting will help you master the art of copywriting. But you need to keep gaining experience by practicing frequently. If you don’t win every time or at first, keep at it, and you will eventually get it.
You have to try, try, and try!
Thanks for reading my article about the basics of copywriting. For more copywriting tips, be sure to follow me on Twitter.
About the Author
Shawn Gossman has created content, blogged, ran online communities, and shared a passion for digital marketing for over twenty years. Shawn believes the best way to help content creators, businesses, brands, and marketers is to give away more than you sell. The same advice is recommended for the readers that follow this blog. Shawn also offers a variety of services for extra help in the area of content creation, blogging, forums, and digital marketing. Learn more about Shawn Gossman by clicking here.